|“||You can only trust those who you know are liars. I used to think differently back when I was working as a simple computer engineer. A straight-edge job with no bumps - I would go in, do what I was asked, and leave. I rarely doubted the loyalty of those who worked alongside me, I didn't really care, until the contract came in... a service order from: Q.W. Initials. That's all I know of the person who took my life away from me. And that is why I am here now. That is why I did what I did to get into the Games.|
|Real Name||Tae Joon Park (박태준)|
|Weight||130 lbs (59 kg)|
|Height||5'9" (175 cm)|
|Tactical Ability||Surveillance Drone|
|Ultimate Ability||Drone EMP|
|Voice Actor||Johnny Young|
A Recon Legend, Crypto takes to the skies with his Surveillance Drone, revealing enemies for both Crypto and his teammates, thanks to Neurolink. And if he finds that the enemies have already hunkered down, he can activate his Drone EMP to break their defenses and slow them before he comes out of the shadows and makes his move with his squad.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Crypto specializes in secrets; he knows how to uncover them, and how to keep them. A brilliant hacker and encryption expert, he uses aerial drones to spy on his opponents in the Apex Arena without being seen.
Orphans raised on the streets of Suotamo, Tae Joon and his foster sister Mila Alexander escaped a life of squalor by becoming computer engineers, designing drones used by the Syndicate to transmit the Apex Games throughout the Outlands. But two years ago, Tae Joon and Mila stumbled upon an algorithm that could predict the result of any Apex Games match, hidden away in the Games’ own computer systems. That caught the attention of the wrong people - the next day, Mila disappeared, and Tae Joon was forced into hiding after he was framed for her murder. With his reputation destroyed, and the Syndicate after him, he gave up his identity, his face, and his family in order to facilitate his redemption.
Wanting to get closer to the people who framed him, Tae Joon planned to join the games but thought he wouldn't be able to pass the games' qualifiers. He then hacked into the games' mainframe and put himself in their records as a legend, but not before blowing up Kings Canyon's Repulsor Tower to serve as a distraction. This allowed the entry of hostile wildlife on Kings Canyon and disruption of the games.
Now joining the games as the combatant known as Crypto, he seeks justice - and revenge.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Surveillance Drone[edit | edit source]
|Description||Deploys an aerial drone. 40-second cooldown if destroyed.|
- The drone can be deployed and flown up to 200 meters away from Crypto. If the drone is 240+ meters away from Crypto, it'll automatically be recalled.
- The drone can ping items as long as they are within 12 meters. Enemies can be pinged up to 125 meters.
- When not being piloted manually, the drone can be parked in midair or recalled to Crypto. The recall takes ~2 seconds.
- The drone has 60 health, and only heals damage when recalled.
- The drone can be used to open doors and supply bins, pick up teammates' banner cards, use survey beacons and use respawn beacons instantly. It must be within 7 meters to do these.
- Banners through the drone vision will show the number of enemy squads within the 200-meter radius of Crypto (not the drone).
- Crypto can warn teammates about the number of nearby squads by pinging banners while in drone view
- Crypto is left stationary while piloting the drone. Taking damage while in drone view will force Crypto out of it.
- While in drone view Weapons automatically reload, starting with the currently equipped weapon. Reloads take the same amount of time as they would be.
- The following is everything that the Surveillance Drone can Ping:
- The user can manually ping and use the ping wheel while in drone view.
- Pathfinder's Grappling Hook can attach to the drone.
- Fuse’s Knuckle Cluster can stick to the drone.
- The drone cannot pass through Wraith's Dimensional Rift.
- Although your team can see the Surveillance Drone's automatic pings, the range is very limited. Remember to manually ping the enemies you see that the drone doesn't automatically detect.
- Crypto is completely vulnerable while in drone view. Find a safe place to stay while managing the drone. You can also crouch while entering the Surveillance Drone to force Crypto to stay in this stance while using it, making it easier to hide him.
- You can also use the Drone as a decoy so the enemies will be distracted to shoot it, while your team is either flanking or escaping.
- If your squadmates have died outside the ring and you're inside the ring, you can use Surveillance Drone to safely retrieve your squadmates' banner.
- Crypto can recall the Surveillance Drone anytime, even while shooting, healing, or executing other actions.
- Holding the tactical button allows Crypto to deploy his Surveillance Drone and immediately exit from the drone view.
- Because enemy drones appear with an orange aura, using it outside The Ring will cause it to visually blend in with the orange ring effect and its partial opacity, making it harder for enemies to spot. The Drone does not take Ring damage.
- The Surveillance Drone can sometimes take more shots to destroy than intended despite only having 60 health. This doesn't include weapons that can one-shot it.
- Sometimes when the drone is hacking a Survey Beacon, the next ring is not revealed on the map unless you hack it when facing its front.
- The drone cannot fit through certain windows.
[edit | edit source]
|Description||Crypto and his teammates see what the Surveillance Drone detects up to a 30-meter radius.|
- The drone will highlight nearby doors, supply bins, traps, and enemies in its line of sight. Enemies are more noticeably marked with a triangle.
- Enemies highlighted by the drone will see 'DRONE DETECTED' on their HUD.
- Mirage cannot be detected while cloaked from Now You See Me....
- Mirage's decoys can be scanned but won't be highlighted as an enemy.
- Enemies won't be highlighted if Gibraltar's Dome of Protection comes between them and the drone.
- If Crypto is inside enemy or friendly Bangalore smoke while in recon mode your screen will start to become fuzzy.
- Enemies cannot be detected through Bangalore’s smoke or Caustic’s gas.
- It was recently revealed that If you hover your drone somewhere out of sight, you can tune into it once you run out of ammo to instantly reload. Partially useful in a firefight. Although this can be called a bug, it is considered an ability for Crypto.
- The Drone EMP and Neurolink can be used even when Crypto is not directly controlling the drone. This actively allows Crypto to stay in the fight or gather information on what the enemy/enemies are doing.
- The Surveillance Drone is noisy and its automatic enemy detection will warn enemies of its presence. If you don't want them to know your squad is nearby, you can manually ping them from a distance.
- If you're struggling to find enemy squads, flying around with the Drone through buildings and covers and looking through glass might cause them to be spotted by the drone's enemy detection, even if you didn't notice them.
- The drone may not highlight certain general things that are supposed to be highlighted.
Drone EMP[edit | edit source]
|Description||Charge up an EMP blast from your drone. Deals 50 shield damage, slows players, and disables traps.|
|Charge time||3 minutes|
- Takes 3 seconds to charge before detonating.
- Affects all players (and Crypto himself) in its 30-meter radius, even through walls and cover. Teammates take no shield damage but are still slowed down.
- The slow lasts roughly 1-2 seconds.
- The following is everything that the Drone EMP will destroy:
- The following is everything that will take 50 damage from Drone EMP:
- EMP will deal 100 damage instead of 50 to the following:
- EMP disables the Tridents on Olympus for 5 seconds.
- The radius of the blast is the same as Neurolink's tracking radius. If an enemy is highlighted in orange, you know they'll be caught in the blast.
- You can activate EMP even when you are not in the drone view. The EMP will be activated where you last leave the drone. This way, you can set the drone in one spot, leave the drone view, prepare for an ambush, activate the EMP, and rush immediately.
- Keep in mind that you and your drone are still vulnerable to damage while EMP is charging.
- Be mindful that your drone is easier to spot while EMP is charging. Try to activate EMP in a tough to reach/aim spot to keep your drone safe.
- Using the EMP on enemies who are fighting or escaping outside The Ring can be effective as the slow effect can potentially be enough for the ring to knock or eliminate them.
- Using EMP on single targets is well worth doing. This can take an enemy out of the team fight for a few seconds if you solo EMP them rather than their team to group up. Solo EMPs also have more chances of being successful than it getting shot down.
- EMP is very good for ending team fights quickly and lessening the chances of your team getting third partied.
- It's very useful for Crypto to carry at least 1-2 Ultimate Accelerants in your inventory to quickly build another EMP.
- It is useful to have an offensive, agile character as a teammate while playing Crypto, as they can easily knock down/eliminate enemies once an EMP is blasted. Legends such as Pathfinder, Wraith, and Octane may also help Crypto quickly engage in the fight with them using their ultimate abilities.
Recon[edit | edit source]
|Description||Scan a Survey Beacon to reveal the Ring's next location.|
- Allows you to access the 12 survey beacons available on the map in any given match to determine the circle location after the currently marked circle.
- The interaction with the survey beacon takes 7 seconds, during which you are vulnerable.
- A survey beacon can be used again when the next round starts.
- Using Crypto's drone on a survey beacon instantly reveals the next ring location.
Cosmetic Items[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 60 Legend skins for Crypto; 16 Legendary, 6 Epic, 22 Rare and 16 Common.
- Included in the Prince of Darkness Bundle.
- Included in the Iced Out Bundle.
Finishers[edit | edit source]
Badges[edit | edit source]
Skydive Emotes[edit | edit source]
Holo-Sprays[edit | edit source]
Music Pack[edit | edit source]
Loading Screens[edit | edit source]
Voice lines[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Crypto was teased for an entire season before his official reveal:
- Crypto's first appearance was in the trailer for Season 2, where he was responsible for destroying the Repulsor tower.
- Crypto's logo appears in "Voidwalker" when an alternate Wraith hacks into an abandoned IMC base.
- Crypto was the source of several 'glitches' in Kings Canyon, including distorted lines from the announcer and hacked banner displays showing his attempts to get login information.
- Crypto appeared in an inaccessible room behind glass in Singh Labs, getting info on the space elevator at World's Edge. When a player got near, he and his drone would flee.
- Crypto's logo appears on the Night Light Prowler Burst PDW skin.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Crypto's drone is named Hack.
- When he hacked himself into the Apex Games as a competitor, he registered himself as "Hyeon Kim", from Solace.
- Crypto shows his opinions about the other Legends very clearly in coded messages/letters to Mystik, his adoptive mother:
- He shows a strong disliking for Mirage, despite acknowledging Mystik's adoration for him. He finds Mirage to be a cocky idiot; despite that, they've developed something of rivalry/friendship over the course of the seasons.
- He assumes Caustic is nothing more than a sociopath and seems to avoid him out of intimidation.
- He thought nothing of Gibraltar, but upon closer inspection, found him to be one of the few with morals.
- As explained by writer Tom Casiello, the device around his jawline/ear alters his face, so he doesn’t look like himself from the past.
- He also said that the Hype Beast skin is "his innermost desires come to life. He wants to scream his identity to all within earshot. Because that would mean this nightmare is over."
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A coded message from Crypto to Mystik.
Concept art of Crypto.
Concept art for the drone.
Concept art for the drone's remote.
References[edit | edit source]