|“||You can only trust those who you know are liars. I used to think differently back when I was working as a simple computer engineer. A straight-edge job with no bumps - I would go in, do what I was asked, and leave. I rarely doubted the loyalty of those who worked alongside me, I didn't really care, until the contract came in... a service order from: Q.W. Initials. That's all I know of the person who took my life away from me. And that is why I am here now. That is why I did what I did to get into the Games.|
|Real Name||Tae Joon Park (박태준)|
|Weight||130 lbs (59 kg)|
|Height||5'9" (175 cm)|
|Tactical Ability||Surveillance Drone|
|Ultimate Ability||Drone EMP|
|Voice Actor||Johnny Young|
A Recon Legend, Crypto takes to the skies with his Surveillance Drone, revealing enemies for Crypto and his squad using Neurolink. If he finds that the enemies have already hunkered down, he can activate his Drone EMP to break their defenses and slow them before he comes out of the shadows and makes his move with his squad.
|Description||Deploys an aerial drone. 40-second cooldown if destroyed.|
- The drone can be deployed and flown up to 200 meters away from Crypto. If the drone is 240+ meters away from Crypto, it'll automatically be recalled.
- Hold ADS to conduct level flight while looking around.
- When not being piloted manually, the drone can be left parked in midair.
- Crypto is left stationary while piloting the drone. Taking damage while in drone view will force Crypto out of it.
- Crypto can recall the drone at any time, even while shooting, healing, while knocked down, or executing other actions. The recall takes ~2 seconds.
- The drone has 60 health, and only heals damage when recalled.
- The drone can be used to open doors/Supply Bins/Care Packages, pick up squadmates' banner cards, and use both Survey Beacons and Respawn Beacons instantly. It must be within 7 meters to do these.
- If have Vault Key in your inventory. Can use drone to open the Vault.
- The drone can ping items as long as they are within 12 meters. Enemies can be pinged up to 125 meters.
- Champion Banners seen through the drone's vision will show the number of enemy squads within a 200-meter radius of Crypto (not the drone).
- Crypto can warn teammates about the number of nearby squads by pinging these banners while in drone view.
- While in drone view, Weapons automatically reload, starting with the currently equipped weapon. Reloads take the same amount of time as they would normally.
- The 200-meter squad detection radius is approximately the same size as your minimap.
|Description||Crypto and his teammates see what the Surveillance Drone detects up to a 30-meter radius.|
- The drone will highlight doors, supply bins, care packages, traps, and enemies with a direct and uninterrupted line of sight within 30 meters. Enemies are more noticeably marked with a triangle.
- Enemies highlighted by the drone will see 'DRONE DETECTED' on their HUD.
|Description||Charge up an EMP blast from your drone. Deals 50 shield damage, slows players, and disables traps.|
|Charge time||3 minutes|
- Takes 3 seconds to charge before detonating. The drone can be destroyed before the detonation, cancelling it.
- Affects all players (and Crypto himself) in a 30-meter radius, even through walls and other obstacles. Squadmates take no shield damage but are still slowed down.
- The slow lasts roughly 1-2 seconds.
- The drone is easier to spot while EMP is charging. Try to activate EMP with your drone in a safe spot or while flying it around to avoid it being destroyed.
- Using EMP on enemies who are fighting or escaping outside The Ring can be effective as the slow effect can potentially be enough for the ring to knock or eliminate them.
- Using EMP on large groups of enemies can rack up damage for Crypto's Evo Shield very quickly.
- Using EMP on single enemies can be worth doing to can take them out of the fight temporarily, rather than letting their squad group up.
- Since squadmates do not take shield damage from EMP, a risky tactic in a pinch is to activate EMP even if Crypto and his squad will be caught in the blast, giving your team an opportunity to attack or escape while the enemy recovers.
|Description||Scan a Survey Beacon to reveal the Ring's next location.|
- Allows you to access the 12 survey beacons available on the map in any given match to determine the circle location after the currently marked circle.
- The interaction with the survey beacon takes 7 seconds, during which you are vulnerable.
Crypto specializes in secrets; he knows how to uncover them, and how to keep them. A brilliant hacker and encryption expert, he uses aerial drones to spy on his opponents in the Apex Arena without being seen.
Orphans raised on the streets of Suotamo, Tae Joon and his foster sister Mila Alexander escaped a life of squalor by becoming computer engineers, designing drones used by the Syndicate to transmit the Apex Games throughout the Outlands. But two years ago, Tae Joon and Mila stumbled upon an algorithm that could predict the result of any Apex Games match, hidden away in the Games’ own computer systems. That caught the attention of the wrong people - the next day, Mila disappeared, and Tae Joon was forced into hiding after he was framed for her murder. With his reputation destroyed, and the Syndicate after him, he gave up his identity, his face, and his family in order to facilitate his redemption.
Wanting to get closer to the people who framed him, Tae Joon planned to join the games but thought he wouldn't be able to pass the games' qualifiers. He then hacked into the games' mainframe and put himself in their records as a legend, but not before blowing up Kings Canyon's Repulsor Tower to serve as a distraction. This allowed the entry of hostile wildlife on Kings Canyon and disruption of the games.
Now joining the games as the combatant known as Crypto, he seeks justice - and revenge.
There are a total of 62 Legend skins for Crypto; 17 Legendary, 6 Epic, 23 Rare and 16 Common.
Story of Crypto:
- Inconspicuous: Before Tae Joon Park was a wanted man, he was a gifted programmer and engineer. The drone cameras that broadcast the Apex Games were originally his creation. In another life, they may have made him famous.
- Included in the Iced Out Bundle.
- Crypto was teased for an entire season before his official reveal:
- Crypto's first appearance was in the trailer for Season 2, where he was responsible for destroying the Repulsor tower.
- Crypto's logo appears in "Voidwalker" when an alternate Wraith hacks into an abandoned IMC base.
- Crypto was the source of several "glitches" in Kings Canyon, including distorted lines from the announcer and hacked banner displays showing his attempts to get login information.
- Crypto appeared in an inaccessible room behind glass in Singh Labs, getting info on the space elevator at World's Edge. When a player got near, he and his drone would flee.
- Crypto's logo appears on the Night Light Prowler Burst PDW skin.
- Crypto's voice actor, Johnny Young, is an active streamer on Twitch, where he is known to do custom voice lines after the character he plays.
- When he hacked himself into the Apex Games as a competitor, he registered himself as "Hyeon Kim", from Solace.
- Crypto's age is officially listed as 31 but it was seemingly retconned to be about 22-23 via a motion comic released in Season 9. Tom Casiello refused to comment on this.
- His real name, age, home planet, etc were labeled as [Error] until season 5.
- Only two other legends (Caustic and Wattson) currently know Tae Joon's true identity, with Wattson being the only legend Crypto has willingly revealed it to.
- Mystik is both Caustic's biological mother and Crypto's adoptive mother. This technically makes the two step-brothers.
- Crypto shows his opinions about the other Legends very clearly in coded messages/letters to Mystik, his adoptive mother:
- He shows a strong disliking for Mirage, despite acknowledging Mystik's adoration for him. He finds Mirage to be a cocky idiot; despite that, they've developed something of rivalry/friendship over the course of the seasons.
- He assumes Caustic is nothing more than a sociopath and seems to avoid him out of intimidation. With further reveals, it could also be due to Caustic knows his real identity
- He thought nothing of Gibraltar, but upon closer inspection, found him to be one of the few with morals.
- As explained by writer Tom Casiello, the device around his jawline/ear alters his face, so he doesn’t look like himself from the past.
- Tom Casiello also said that the Hype Beast skin is "his innermost desires come to life. He wants to scream his identity to all within earshot. Because that would mean this nightmare is over."
- Crypto's "Rising Phoenix" and "Masked Dancer" Legendary cosmetic skins are interpretations of outfits used in the Korean (both North and South) Lion Dance, meant to rid a location of evil spirits.
- Crypto is canonically terrible at naming things. (For example, the drone is named "Hack," his Town Takeover on King's Canyon in called "Map Room," and his security system was literally called "security" before Wattson named it "Lassie," after a guard dog from earth.
- Crypto owns, and is shown with, a data knife in his banner pose "pre-kill", a tool commonly owned by Titan Pilots with the Combat Certification.
- Crypto is from Gaea, one of the two planets (the other being Psamathe) in the Syndicate Space with its own police force. It is for this reason he could be framed for murder, as it is legal to kill on other planets in the Syndicate Space.
- Crypto and Mila are the creators of the camera drones used to broadcast the Apex Games. They could have potentially made him famous if he wasn't a fugitive.
A coded message from Crypto to Mystik.
Concept art of Crypto.
Concept art for the drone.
Concept art for the drone's remote.
- Crypto Loading Screen Text "It Takes a Liar"
- PlayApex on Twitter
- Season 2 Launch Trailer
- Loading Screen - Codename Crypto
- Tom Casiello on Twitter
- Tom Casiello on Twitter
- Tom Casiello on Twitter
- Hethe Srodawa on Twitter
- Danny Gardner on Artstation
- Danny Gardner on Artstation