|“||Being an Apex Legend takes courage, strength, and confidence... or as some call it, 'Just being Gibraltar' heh heh... We all put passion in our matches and fight like each day depends on it; my work with S.A.R.A.S. taught me that. You need to love what you do, care about what you do, and believe in your ability to do what you do; my parents taught me that. Finally, brothas, trust in those around you, protect those around you, and never forget that no matter how big you are, the world is always bigger; the Apex Games taught me that. Let's go change a life!|
|Real Name||Makoa Gibraltar|
|Weight||292 lbs (132 kg)|
|Height||6'5" (196 cm)|
|Tactical Ability||Dome of Protection|
|Passive Ability||Gun Shield|
|Ultimate Ability||Defensive Bombardment|
|Voice Actor||Branscombe Richmond|
Gibraltar is a mountainous Legend. His tactical ability Dome of Protection creates a temporary half-dome shield that can be walked through, but not fired through. His passive ability Gun Shield causes a shield to form around the upper half of his body whenever he aims down sights; this shield takes some damage before breaking. His ultimate ability Defensive Bombardment causes a damaging and stunning cluster strike to land on a targeted location.
- 1 Abilities
- 2 Lore
- 3 Cosmetic items
- 4 Voice lines
- 5 History
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
Dome of Protection
|Dome of Protection|
|Description||Blocks incoming and outgoing attacks.|
- Throws a large disc, which upon landing projects a dome shield around it. The dome has a radius of 6 meters and lasts 12 seconds.
- The dome shield stops all incoming and outgoing bullets and projectiles while allowing players to move through it.
- Gibraltar revives allies 33% faster while inside his dome (6 seconds -> 4.5 seconds).
- Example: If you have a downed teammate and are being rushed, throw down your ultimate and then your dome right behind the center of the explosion, so the enemy has to walk through it to get to you.
|Passive||H// to disable|
|Description||Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire.|
- While aiming, Gibraltar will have an energy shield in front of him with 50 health that protects his upper body from incoming fire while allowing him to shoot out.
- If broken, it has a 9-second cooldown before regenerating.
- The health of the energy shield can be seen on both the left and right sides while aiming down sights. The cooldown meter can also be seen refilling the 1-8 bars of energy meter.
- Any excess damage inflicted when destroying the shield will be transferred over to Gibraltar himself.
|Description||Call in a concentrated mortar strike on a marked position.|
|Charge time||4.5 minutes|
- Throws a smoke grenade that marks a 24-meter radius around it for a mortar strike.
- For 6 seconds, explosives continuously rain down on the area, dealing 40 damage per hit and shell-shocking players.
- The area is marked for all players with red circles indicating where mortar shells will hit.
|Description||Incoming damage reduced by 15%. Not slowed by bullets.|
- Take 15% less damage from every attack, except headshots.
|“||Gibraltar is a gentle giant with a wild side. The son of two SARAS (Search and Rescue Association of Solace) volunteers, he has always been skilled at getting others out of dangerous situations that are common in the Outlands. However, he only began to understand the value of protecting others when he and his boyfriend stole his father’s motorcycle, took it on a joyride, and got trapped by a deadly mudslide. His parents saved them, and his father lost an arm in the process. Gibraltar has never forgotten that sacrifice and has devoted his life to helping those in need.
The Apex Games didn’t change that, but they changed what it meant. Many of Gibraltar’s friends and colleagues have competed in the Games for extra money, fame, and glory over the years, and some never came home. Gibraltar joined to keep them safe and, for the first time, his skills as a rescuer and his rebellious nature worked together. He’s now become an icon in the Apex Games, putting himself in the line of fire to protect his squad and send his opponents running for cover.
Makoa Gibraltar was born in 2703 on Solace. He was the son of Miko Gibraltar, a volunteer for the Search and Rescue Association of Solace (SARAS), and the grandson of Dr. Aleki Gibraltar, a scientist who worked on Project Iris in 2658.  Growing up, Gibraltar was told a fable of a little mouse, which served as an analogue to his ancestors’ journey to the Outlands on the IMS Nostros four hundred years prior. 
In the aftermath of the Frontier War, the IMC and the Frontier Militia both disappeared, leaving a power vacuum in the Frontier. As a result, the planets of the Outlands began to fight each other, leading to the Outlands Civil War. Gibraltar, disagreeing with his family’s isolationism in response to the War, ran away from home in 2717. He found a part-time job at the Thunderdome, working as cleaning and concessions staff. It was here that he met Nikolas “Nik” Gentile. The pair soon entered a relationship and shared their first kiss at the arena. 
One night, the pair began talking about the war, and Gibraltar declared his intent to join the fighting. He convinced Nik to join him on this endeavor. Gibraltar snuck into his parents’ house to pack supplies. He also stole his father’s motorcycle, and he and Nik drove off to join the war. Gibraltar decided to take a shortcut through the Cascade Mountains, but heavy mud and reduced visibility from a storm resulted in him losing control and driving off of a cliff. Gibraltar was mostly unscathed, but Nik was unconscious with a broken leg.
SARAS and Gibraltar’s father quickly arrived at the scene. While they were quickly able to rescue Nik, a mudslide forced Gibraltar and Miko further down the slope, crushing the latter’s arm under a rock. After they were lifted out, Miko had lost his arm. 
While Gibraltar wished to tell the truth about the incident, Nik took the blame, believing that Gibraltar is “the guy who’s gonna save the world one day.” Nik was sent to juvenile detention for his role in the incident. Gibraltar has felt severe guilt over the situation since. 
Gibraltar kept in contact with Nik after he was released from prison. In 2727, he learned that Nik had entered into a relationship with a woman named Vanessa. Though they were separated, their union resulted in a son, Michael, who initially idolized Gibraltar. He was shocked to learn this. 
In 2728, Nik decided to sue for sole custody of Michael. In retaliation, Vanessa told their son the truth about Nik’s past and his involvement with Gibraltar, completely souring the young boy’s opinion of the latter. Nik told Gibraltar this during a clandestine meeting in a park, but Michael found this out. 
Eventually, Gibraltar decided to become a competitor in the Apex Games to protect those who would otherwise not return.  Though he was initially hesitant to leave, his father supported him, giving his son his dome shield to help in combat. 
The Broken Ghost
At some point, Wattson is injured in the Shadowfall dimension. While she recovers from her injuries, Revenant comes to harass and threaten the legends.  Gibraltar, Bangalore, and Bloodhound suddenly return from the dimension to fend off their assailant.  Eventually, Revenant returns (in the form of Crypto’s drone) and reveals that there is a mole amongst the group, sowing distrust amongst the Legends.  Caustic immediately frames Crypto, severing the latter’s relationship with the other Legends, especially Wattson.  Gibraltar takes notice of this, and later confronts Caustic about his deceit. Caustic openly admits to feeding information to Revenant, with the intent of keeping Wattson and Crypto away from each other. The two’s ideals clash, with Caustic expressing his confidence that they are disparate now, and Gibraltar expressing his that they will come together again. 
After this encounter, Gibraltar attempted to meet with several of the Legends to try to make amends among the group. While he was unable to find Crypto, he met with Loba and Wattson, the latter of which stated that she needed time to process what had happened. 
Gibraltar visited Rampart’s shop with Bangalore to share a drink.  Later, making good on his promise to “bring [the Legends] back,” he wrote a letter to Wattson detailing how Caustic was the true mole. 
One Saturday in 2733, Gibraltar completed an Apex Games match on Kings Canyon, with his team securing victory.  After the match, he joined Bangalore and Loba at a restaurant, only to be suddenly pulled away when the former chases a passerby for his jacket, which she believes belonged to her brother. The group and the passerby are then met by a horde of stampeding prowlers. Gibraltar uses his dome shield to protect the group, only for the fourth man to be pulled out and killed by one. A distraught Gibraltar is consoled by Loba, who tells him that he can’t save everyone.
The three Legends were suddenly confronted by a group of armed men in a heavily-armed Trident, claiming that the slain man was with them. The Trident pursued, but was quickly fended off by one of Bangalore’s smoke canisters. However, the Trident’s crash took out a significant portion of Solace City’s power grid.
Gibraltar and the Legends soon arrived at a local hospital, only to be caught under debris from a landing dropship owned by Boss Willis of the Mercenary Syndicate.  Gibraltar used his dome shield to protect and rescue the Legends and the wounded patients. 
Gibraltar accompanied Lifeline, Octane, and Pathfinder to a Chevrex charity event to obtain an antique MRVN battery from Darion Che, Lifeline’s father.  By chance, he encountered Nik, who was annoyed to see his ex-lover.  Gibraltar attempts to apologize for their past again, but Nik stops him, discussing his need to “live in ‘what-is’” instead of “playing ‘what-if.’”  Their conversation is interrupted by an explosion triggered by a terrorist group led by Creighton Sawtelle, who seeks to take over Psamathe. The chaos knocks out one of the terrorists, leading Gibraltar to steal his armor and masquerade as a member of the group.  Sawtelle commands Gibraltar to execute Lifeline, which allows him to buy time for Pathfinder to disrupt their leader. The Legends successfully stop the attack. 
Gibraltar and Nik talk after the incident and decide to reconnect over coffee soon. 
Gibraltar met with Pathfinder when the latter sought answers regarding his creator. The two discussed SARAS and the settling of the Outlands. 
The Legacy Antigen
Before a celebration of Pathfinder on Olympus, various houses on the arena became rentable between Apex Games matches.  Gibraltar rents one of these houses with his family and invites Nik and Michael for dinner. When the door knocks, he is instead met by Lifeline, who summons him for a search and rescue emergency. He finds Nik as he leaves and tells him he won’t be long, unaware of the true circumstances of the event.
The Medusa outbreak quickly spreads, leaving Michael sick. Gibraltar pilots a SARAS vessel to bring him to a hospital, but their landing area is overrun by Medusa vines. He jumps down to clear the area, breaking his leg in the process. In the hospital, Gibraltar consoles Nik, assuring him that a cure will be found and Nik will live. 
After the cure is developed, Nik thanks Gibraltar for keeping him sane, though remarks that Michael might never come around to realize the latter’s role in saving him.  He later visits Bangalore after she is cured, where she states that her and Loba are “just friends.” 
Trouble in Paradise
During an Apex Games match on Olympus, Gibraltar is placed on a team with Pathfinder and Ash. The latter attempts to access the Rift, searching for remnants from the Phase Runner Accident. After telling her that very little, if anything, was recoverable from the site, the simulacrum decides to continue her search elsewhere. 
Season 13 Launch Trailer
Gibraltar helped to prepare for Bangalore's retirement party.
There are a total of 71 Legend skins for Gibraltar; 24 Legendary, 6 Epic, 25 Rare and 16 Common.
- Included in the Resurrected Bundle.
Story of Gibraltar:
- Millennium Tusk: When a Chevrex benefit dinner was hijacked by wannabe mobsters with Gibraltar in attendance, he stole one of their uniforms and posed as part of the group to save the day - like Gibraltars do.
- Gentle Giant: The Search and Rescue Association of Solace was founded by the Gibraltar family in 2525, Makoa Gibraltar enlisted as a part-time volunteer and continues to prioritize his duty over being a Legend on a daily basis.
- Was originally named Roughneck
- Was originally named Greatness Awaits.
This set was made available during the Fight Night event. Anyone who completed the Fight Night Collection set will be given this automatically.
The set contains:
- A Melee Weapon Skin: War Club
- A Banner Pose: Like a Rock
- An Intro Quip: "When this is over, they'll all know the name 'Gibraltar.'"
Front Row Seat
- Gibraltar's dome shield is adapted from the Bubbleshield titan kit in both Titanfall games used to protect newly called titans. His gun shield is similar to the one used by Legion.
- Gibraltar's cultural background draws from the entirety of Polynesia, especially from Hawaiian, Samoan, and Māori culture. His melee weapon, specifically the one seen in some banner frames and his default finisher and not his heirloom, is a patu, a type of war club used by the Māori.
- According to writer Tom Casiello, his ancestors were Samoan, Tongan, Hawaiian, Indonesian, and even a little Peruvian, through one great great great great great grandfather.
- Additionally even Gibraltar's voice actor, Branscombe Richmond was born in Tahiti, the largest island of the Society Islands found in French Polynesia.
- Gibraltar's patu was custom-made by Nik as a gift. 
- Gibraltar is the first legend to be of Polynesian background, followed by Mad Maggie.
- Gibraltar is gay.
- The sled-shield on Gibraltar’s Brudda Bear Skin has a label named “maunga”. In the Māori language, this means Mountain, the picture above the logo.
- Gibraltar's "Haka" emote is a real ceremonial dance found in Māori culture. It is generally related to the traditional battle preparations of Māori warriors. It's also a notion for welcoming distinguished guests, as well as acknowledging great achievements and occasions such as funerals.
- Gibraltar can strike with a force of 870 PSI, and has a weapon draw speed of 2.4 seconds. 
- Gibraltar learned some of his fighting style from the gladiators at Thunderdome. 
- Gibraltar's Blood and Thunder skin is possibly named after the Mastodon song of the same name.
- Gibraltar Loading Screen Text "Tip of the Spear"
- Pathfinder's Quest Chapter 11 - "The Truth"
- Pathfinder's Quest Chapter 2 - "Solace on Solace"
- Season 5 Transition - "Kings Canyon - Fortune's Favor"
- The Legacy Antigen Side Story - "The Boy Who Hated Gibraltar"
- The Broken Ghost Prologue - "The Duplicitous Snake"
- The Broken Ghost Chapter 2 - "The Detached Chaperone"
- The Broken Ghost Chapter 3 - "The Liberated Narc"
- The Broken Ghost Chapter 6 - "The Oblivious Mole"
- The Broken Ghost Chapter 7 - "The Shattered Spirit"
- The Broken Ghost Chapter 8 - "The Unwavering Protector"
- Season 6 Transition - "Aftermatch"
- Stories from the Outlands - The Endorsement
- Overtime Issue 1
- Overtime Issue 3
- Overtime Issue 4
- Family Portrait Page 1 - "Requiem for a Smiley Face"
- Family Portrait Page 2 - "Party Crashers"
- Family Portrait Page 4 - "The Blame Game"
- Family Portrait Page 5 - "The Happy Ending"
- Family Portrait Page 6 - "A Legendary Comeback"
- Family Portrait Page 7 - "Home"
- Season 9 Transition - "GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER?"
- The Legacy Antigen Epilogue
- The Legacy Antigen Part 10 - "Legacy Found"
- Trouble in Paradise Chapter 2 - "The One Who Walked Away"
- Apex Legends on Twitter
- Every Legend in Apex Legends Explained By Respawn | WIRED
- Forge's opinion on Gibraltar
- Pathfinder's Quest Chapter 2 - "Solace on Solace"
- Prog Wang on Artstation
- Danny Gardner on Artstation
- bamiboy on Twitter