|“||Dear Dr. Mary Somers,
You don’t know what it meant to me to hear his voice again. Well, that was daft… Of course you know what it meant.
I dinnae know what I can say to you that you don’t already know, but maybe some things have faded with time. For that, I can offer a wee refresher…
I had so much doubt. I’ve been goin’ full tilt for so long—solving an energy crisis, escaping a black hole, fighting my way to the Apex Games—that doubt rarely had time to seed. Being a bloody genius doesn’t hurt much either.
But I felt it not but a week ago. What if I don’t make it back?
Then I heard your message — and the timing couldn’t have been more perfect. But you knew that too, didn’t you?
I hope to do you and him proud, you brilliant lassie. Til we meet again.
|Real Name||Dr. Mary Somers|
|Tactical Ability||Gravity Lift|
|Ultimate Ability||Black Hole|
|Voice Actor||Elle Newlands|
Horizon is an Offensive Legend who is useful for directing her teammates or enemies toward a certain location. Her Gravity Lift tactical can be used to help herself and her squad reach higher places, while her Spacewalk passive allows her to start moving earlier after a long fall and turn faster midair, and her Black Hole ultimate can cause nearby enemies to be pulled toward its center.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Almost a century ago, the Outlands were dangling on the edge of a cataclysmic energy crisis. Dr. Mary Somers, a charmingly eccentric astrophysicist, was hired to find a solution. Mary moved her family to the scientific research station on Olympus and set to work.
With the help of her apprentice, Dr. Reid, Mary discovered Branthium - an element she was convinced could be the key to limitless energy. But Branthium can be found only on the accretion disk of a black hole, so Mary and Dr. Reid departed on a dangerous mission to prove her theory right.
Mary promised her son Newton she’d return safe and sound. But Dr. Reid betrayed her, stealing the Branthium and sending her shuttle into the black hole’s orbit. Using her wits, Mary modified her robotic vacuum companion N.E.W.T. to escape. But time moves differently on the outskirts of a black hole, and she was 87 years too late.
Now Mary is determined to fund her research to find a way to go back in time and be with her son. She joins the Apex Games as Horizon, master of gravity, just in time for the next season to debut on Olympus - where her old life once was and where she had promised to return.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Gravity Lift[edit | edit source]
|Description||Reverses the flow of gravity, lifting players upward and boosting them outward when they exit.|
- Lifts players to a maximum of 30 meters off the ground.
- Stays active for 10 seconds.
- Cooldown starts after 10 seconds. (If the Gravity Lift is immediately activated, the cooldown starts when the ability ends.)
- Aside from helping your squad reach high ground, you can also use it to disorient enemies by throwing it under their feet.
- Gravity Lift can block off doorways and corridors. Make sure not to block off yourself or your teammates.
- You can use Gravity Lift to Launch your knocked teammates to safer locations. Make sure to toss your Gravity Lift away from your knocked teammate so they don't go in an unintended direction.
- You can also use it when you need to use a healing item, especially ones such as a Shield Battery or Med Kit, as you can strafe left and right faster than on the ground.
Spacewalk[edit | edit source]
|Description||Increase air control and reduce fall impacts with Horizon’s custom spacesuit.|
- When landing after a fall from a high place, Horizon can start moving sooner than every other legend.
- Horizon makes quicker turns in mid-air.
- Unlike other legends, if you are falling down a shaft with a zipline, Horizon does not have to grab the zipline to avoid a fall stun.
Black Hole[edit | edit source]
|Description||Deploy N.E.W.T. to create a micro black hole that pulls players in towards it.|
|Charge time||180 seconds|
- Lasts 12 seconds.
- N.E.W.T. has 175 HP and can be destroyed.
- Takes 2 seconds to activate once landed.
- Enemies are highlighted if their position is behind the N.E.W.T.
- Pulls enemies even from behind obstacles such as walls and doors.
- Try to combine the black hole with area-of-effect attacks like Grenades, Caustic's Nox Gas Grenade, Revenant's Silence, and Fuse's The Motherlode.
- If you yourself are caught in the black hole, you can either use mobility abilities, such as Wraith's Into the Void, or destroy it to escape the black hole.
- Can destroy Wraith’s Dimensional Rift if at least one side of the portal is within range of N.E.W.T. This is maybe due to some geometry on Olympus.
- This ability is not destroyed by Interception Pylon when it is supposed to.
- In very rare cases, the ability can get deflected by Bloodhound's Eye of the Allfather, even though the scan should be a visual effect.
Cosmetic Items[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 46 Legend skins for Horizon; 5 Legendary, 6 Epic, 19 Rare and 16 Common.
- Included in the Horizon Launch Bundle.
Badges[edit | edit source]
Finishers[edit | edit source]
All Charged Up
Skydive Emotes[edit | edit source]
Holo-Sprays[edit | edit source]
Music Packs[edit | edit source]
Loading Screens[edit | edit source]
Voice lines[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Development[edit | edit source]
- Originally, Horizon was a character named Downfall (subtitle: "Populist Pyromaniac"), who was an evil genius CEO-type similar to Lex Luthor, and had abilities based around fire. Her design and story drastically changed over the course of development.
- Horizon's character was created by the Respawn writer Sam Gill who wrote all her dialogue. Her short "Promise" was written by Amanda Doiron, and it was one of the first things she wrote when she started at Respawn.
- Horizon is named after Mary Somerville.
[edit | edit source]
- In "The Broken Ghost" quest, Ash recites some lines from Horizon. Lifeline comments Ash "tried to be a 'wee bit' Scottish."
- At the end of the Season 6 gameplay trailer, Kuben Blisk says "Something big is on the horizon."
- On October 13, 2020, the first set of gravity lifts, that were placed around Kings Canyon and World's Edge at the start of Season 6, began to activate. Horizon asks the player to meet her in the Firing Range to do some tests for her. After completing the "A Wee Experiment" challenges, Horizon introduces herself as Dr. Mary Somers, a.k.a. Horizon. The player is given the Horizon's Test Subject badge.
- On the same day, the Apex Legends Champion Edition Trailer was released which teases a new Legend for Season 7 and Horizon's silhouette. When the trailer promotes that the Edition unlocks "9 Legends," Horizon can be seen to the right of the banners in the background, between Rampart and Revenant's heads.
- On October 19th, 2020, the Apex Legends Twitter account tweeted a transmission from Horizon of her saying "branthium" (which was also mentioned by Ash at the end of "The Broken Ghost").
- On October 21st, 2020, the Apex Legends Twitter account tweeted another transmission from Horizon. This time she says "...a wee bit of betrayal...eh, dearie? I was so daft." (These lines were said by Ash at the end of "The Broken Ghost")
- On October 23rd, 2020, the Apex Legends Twitter account tweeted a third transmission from Horizon. She reveals that she is on a ship and has been off-world for 5 months but is scared to do the math for how long that would mean back home (due to time dilation). She is working on how to fuse the branthium without critical mass. She also wonders what "he" is doing.
- On October 26th, 2020, "Promise" was released.
- On October 28th, 2020, the Season 7 Launch Trailer was released.
- On October 30th, 2020, the Season 7 Gameplay Trailer was released.
Speculation[edit | edit source]
- In "The First Ship" quest, Blisk tells Ash that an old friend of hers is back, which is speculated to be Horizon given that Ash knows Horizon.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Horizon is Scottish.
- Horizon was cast off in the ergosphere of a black hole for at least 87 Olympus years, but for her, it was only 246 days.
- Horizon authored an academic writing named "Utilization of Hyperdense Matter Extracted from Black Hole Ergosphere". A page of it can be partially seen on Wattson's desk.
- Horizon's black hole ability is similar to the Gravity Star from Titanfall 2.
- Horizon's drone NEWT is seemingly named after her son Newton. She sometimes talks to her drone as if it is her son.
- Horizon's voice actor, Elle Newlands, confirmed that Horizon has ADHD.
- Horizon's name could be attributed to the event horizon of a black hole, where nothing can escape the tug of the black hole.
- At the end of Season 7, players who played Horizon were able to re-route the Phase Runner by activating the panel at Hammond Labs. It would take them to a secret inaccessible area at Bonsai Plaza, to hear a message from Newton, as well as earn some free rewards. Upon completion of the message, the Phase Runner would take the player to Rift Aftermath as normal. (This can only be done once per match by anyone.)
- Her All Charged Up finisher is the only finisher to have ever been changed, as, in the March 09, 2021 Patch, the time to complete the finisher was increased from 4.21 seconds to 6 seconds and added a little more animation in the beginning. This is because the finisher was faster than other legends’ finishers before the change, even Pathfinder's Hi-5 finisher, the current fastest finisher in the game, making it one of the most powerful finishers in the game.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]