|“||Dear Dr. Mary Somers,
You don’t know what it meant to me to hear his voice again. Well, that was daft… Of course you know what it meant.
I dinnae know what I can say to you that you don’t already know, but maybe some things have faded with time. For that, I can offer a wee refresher…
I had so much doubt. I’ve been goin’ full tilt for so long—solving an energy crisis, escaping a black hole, fighting my way to the Apex Games—that doubt rarely had time to seed. Being a bloody genius doesn’t hurt much either.
But I felt it not but a week ago. What if I don’t make it back?
Then I heard your message — and the timing couldn’t have been more perfect. But you knew that too, didn’t you?
I hope to do you and him proud, you brilliant lassie. Til we meet again.
|Real Name||Dr. Mary Somers|
|Tactical Ability||Gravity Lift|
|Ultimate Ability||Black Hole|
|Voice Actor||Elle Newlands |
Horizon is an Offensive Legend with gravity-based abilities. Her tactical ability Gravity Lift, when deployed on the ground, lifts any player that steps into it into the air. Her passive ability Spacewalk increases her in-air movement speed and decreases her movement delay after falling from a height. Her ultimate ability Black Hole throws a device that causes nearby enemies and grenades to be pulled toward its center.
|Description||Reverses the flow of gravity, lifting players upward and boosting them outward when they exit.|
- Throws a device which creates a 30 meter cylinder above it. Players that enter the cylinder are lifted upwards.
- Players inside the lift can move horizontally. Exiting boosts the player upwards and outwards.
- Players that reach the top will hover there for 2 seconds, then be ejected.
- Stays active for 10 seconds.
- Cooldown starts after 10 seconds. (If the Gravity Lift is immediately activated, the cooldown starts when the ability ends.)
|Description||Increase air control and reduce fall impacts with Horizon’s custom spacesuit.|
- Horizon experiences no landing shock from landing after a long fall.
- If Horizon lands while crouching, she will immediately transition into a slide.
- Horizon makes quicker turns in mid-air.
|Description||Deploy N.E.W.T. to create a micro black hole that pulls players in towards it.|
|Charge time||3 minutes|
- Throws a low-gravity device. 2 seconds after landing, players in a [?] meter radius are pulled towards the device, even through walls.
- Lasts 12 seconds.
- N.E.W.T. has 175 HP and can be destroyed to cancel the pull.
- Enemies are highlighted if their position is behind the N.E.W.T.
|“||Almost a century ago, the Outlands were dangling on the edge of a cataclysmic energy crisis. Dr. Mary Somers, a charmingly eccentric astrophysicist, was hired to find a solution. Mary moved her family to the scientific research station on Olympus and set to work.
With the help of her apprentice, Dr. Reid, Mary discovered Branthium - an element she was convinced could be the key to limitless energy. But Branthium can be found only on the accretion disk of a black hole, so Mary and Dr. Reid departed on a dangerous mission to prove her theory right.
Mary promised her son Newton she’d return safe and sound. But Dr. Reid betrayed her, stealing the Branthium and sending her shuttle into the black hole’s orbit. Using her wits, Mary modified her robotic vacuum companion N.E.W.T. to escape. But time moves differently on the outskirts of a black hole, and she was 87 years too late.
Now Mary is determined to fund her research to find a way to go back in time and be with her son. She joins the Apex Games as Horizon, master of gravity, just in time for the next season to debut on Olympus--where her old life once was and where she had promised to return.
There are a total of 58 Legend skins for Horizon; 13 Legendary, 8 Epic, 21 Rare and 16 Common.
- Included in the Horizon Launch Bundle.
All Charged Up
- Originally, Horizon was a character named Firebug with fire-based abilities and was a germaphobe.
- She was also said to be an evil genius CEO-type similar to Lex Luthor. Interestingly, there was another datamined Legend named Downfall who had the title "Populist Pyromaniac". This was later revealed to be one of the possible legends Jackson Williams could have been tied to before being shelved..
- Horizon's character was created by the Respawn writer Sam Gill who wrote all her dialogue. Her short "Promise" was written by Amanda Doiron, and it was one of the first things she wrote when she started at Respawn.
- Horizon is named after Mary Somerville.
- In "The Broken Ghost" quest, Ash recites some lines from Horizon. Lifeline comments Ash "tried to be a 'wee bit' Scottish."
- At the end of the Season 6 gameplay trailer, Kuben Blisk says "Something big is on the horizon."
- In "The First Ship" quest, Kuben Blisk tells Ash that "an old friend of hers is back", with Horizon resurfacing at almost the same time. Season 11's quest Chapter 1 confirms that Blisk was indeed referring to Horizon.
- On October 13, 2020, the first set of gravity lifts, that were placed around Kings Canyon and World's Edge at the start of Season 6, began to activate. Horizon asks the player to meet her in the Firing Range to do some tests for her. After completing the "A Wee Experiment" challenges, Horizon introduces herself as Dr. Mary Somers, a.k.a. Horizon. The player is given the Horizon's Test Subject badge.
- On the same day, the Apex Legends Champion Edition Trailer was released which teases a new Legend for Season 7 and Horizon's silhouette. When the trailer promotes that the Edition unlocks "9 Legends," Horizon can be seen to the right of the banners in the background, between Rampart and Revenant's heads.
- On October 19th, 2020, the Apex Legends Twitter account tweeted a transmission from Horizon of her saying "branthium" (which was also mentioned by Ash at the end of "The Broken Ghost").
- On October 21st, 2020, the Apex Legends Twitter account tweeted another transmission from Horizon. This time she says "...a wee bit of betrayal...eh, dearie? I was so daft." (These lines were said by Ash at the end of "The Broken Ghost")
- On October 23rd, 2020, the Apex Legends Twitter account tweeted a third transmission from Horizon. She reveals that she is on a ship and has been off-world for 5 months but is scared to do the math for how long that would mean back home (due to time dilation). She is working on how to fuse the branthium without critical mass. She also wonders what "he" is doing.
- On October 26th, 2020, "Promise" was released.
- On October 28th, 2020, the Season 7 Launch Trailer was released.
- On October 30th, 2020, the Season 7 Gameplay Trailer was released.
- Horizon's black hole ability is similar to the Gravity Star from Titanfall 2.
- At the end of Season 7, players who played Horizon were able to re-route the Phase Runner by activating the panel at Hammond Labs. It would take them to a secret inaccessible area at Bonsai Plaza, to hear a message from Newton, as well as earn some free rewards. Upon completion of the message, the Phase Runner would take the player to Rift Aftermath as normal. (This can only be done once per match by anyone.)
- Her All Charged Up finisher is the only finisher to have ever been changed, as, in the 8.1 Update, the time to complete the finisher was increased from 4.21 seconds to 6 seconds and added a little more animation in the beginning. This is because the finisher was faster than other legends’ finishers before the change, even Pathfinder's Hi-5 finisher, the current fastest finisher in the game, making it one of the most powerful finishers in the game.
- Horizon Loading Screen Text "A Matter of Time"
- Respawn on Twitter
- Horizon was originally a Fire Type, and this was what it was like (Apex Legends)
- Apex’s Horizon went from an “evil genius CEO” with fire abilities to an endearingly odd scientist who slings black holes
- Amanda Doiron on Twitter
- Amanda Doiron on Twitter
- Amanda Doiron on Twitter
- RV-YaBoiBrian on Reddit
- ArtStation - Apex Legends, Brett Marting