|“||My world was shattered that day. And my path was now a fog of unknowns. The system tried to erase the tragedy, but some wounds are too deep to ever truly heal. I've always felt it in my blood. I am a thief. And a good one at that. It was the only way I felt true to myself. And those same feelings grew into opportunity. I honed my skills, and enhanced my methods. With success came wealth, power, and friendship. I was the best, and everyone knew it. But something was always missing.|
|Real Name||Loba Andrade|
|Tactical Ability||Burglar's Best Friend|
|Passive Ability||Eye for Quality|
|Ultimate Ability||Black Market Boutique|
|Voice Actor||Fryda Wolff|
A Support Legend specializing in providing the squad with the highest quality loot, she can use her passive Eye for Quality to immediately see high-quality loot and ping it too for her teammates while her ultimate Black Market Boutique allows her squad to quickly see all the loot in the area and retrieve them from a safe place. Her tactical, Burglar's Best Friend gives her a jump drive that she can use to teleport to higher places or through obstacles.
Biography[edit | edit source]
When Loba was nine, she looked on as simulacrum hitman Revenant killed her parents. Left with nothing, Loba was given to a foster family. But like her mother and father, she quickly found out she was good at being a thief. She started with picking pockets and as her skills improved, Loba used every tool at her disposal to lift herself from the gutter. Everything changed when she broke into a supposedly impenetrable facility and got her hands on the Jump Drive tech stored inside. With her new teleportation bracelet, the most secure and unattainable items were within her reach. So was her dream of living the high life.
Rumors spread across the Outlands: if you wanted something valuable -and well guarded- Loba's who you go to. She was almost able to put her past behind her. But when Revenant joined the Games, her past catapulted into her future. Desperate to find a way to kill him, she found out the truth about the Simulacrum with help from her friend Jaime and successfully sabotaged a facility full of Revenant bodies, bringing Skull Town and Thunderdome crashing down in the process. However, she learned it was just one of many such factories hidden across the Frontier. Now, she's joined the Games to find a way to end him for good. It doesn't hurt that the Arenas are brimming with treasures just waiting to be plucked.
Revenge will come, if fortune favors her. In the meantime, some shiny things have caught her eye.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Burglar's Best Friend[edit | edit source]
|Burglar's Best Friend|
|Description||Teleport to hard-to-reach places or escape trouble quickly by throwing your jump drive bracelet.|
- Throws Loba's bracelet and immediately teleports her to its landing spot.
- While the bracelet is in midair, you can force it to drop straight down.
- The max distance that the bracelet can be thrown varies based on the following:
- 71 meters if you're on normal ground levels which is the standard distance.
- 100+ meters if you're on high ground places such as towers or buildings, maxing out the distance.
- Upon activation, it cannot be canceled (excludes other Legends abilities that can cancel the bracelet) and you'll go where the bracelet lands.
- Can be thrown up to 20 meters.
- If the bracelet is thrown off the edge of the map, or into an out-of-bounds area, it'll return to Loba without starting the cooldown.
- Can be used while on ziplines or jump pads.
- The bracelet's distance can be extended by bouncing it off a Launch Pad. This does not work if you are too close to the pad; you'll just teleport right on top of it.
- Silence can cancel the teleport while the bracelet is in midair.
- The bracelet can hit a Surveillance Drone and teleport you to it, even though the drone is not solid ground.
- Wraith's Dimensional Rift will cancel the bracelet's effect if it's in midair and the portal is taken at the same time.
- It will not go inside a Gibraltar's Dome of Protection but will instead bounce off the dome.
- There is a brief animation that plays after you get teleported before you can use your weapon, plan accordingly.
- Teleport behind an enemy to attack them by surprise.
- Use the ability to force the bracelet down to teleport right behind the cover.
- Don't forget that you can throw the bracelet through windows and small gaps in walls.
- The bracelet's sound effects are very loud and its trail is visible to everyone so enemies can be notified that you're nearby, so be cautious when using.
- Climbing will cancel the animation of the bracelet. Used at the right time, this can save you a second.
- Occasionally, the bracelet can get glitched and stop working after taking Wraith's Dimensional Rift. Once it gets glitched, it can only be fixed by using the Black Market Boutique, which will somehow undo the bug.
- Under rare circumstances, if Loba gets hit by a melee attack at the same time her bracelet touches a surface, she'll teleport the enemy meleeing her too.
- Aiming with a Peacekeeper, Wingman or Prowler Burst PDW directly after using the bracelet causes a visual glitch (that last if still aiming with the Peacekeeper).
- It does not work in several areas across all maps, especially when there is an obstacle below the bracelet's path. Sometimes, it may work, but it will teleport the player to the original spot from where the bracelet was thrown or into a wall below the path of the bracelet. However, jumping can sometimes solve this issue.
- There are multiple exploitable spots on all maps that are accessible by the bracelet, especially on World’s Edge.
Eye for Quality[edit | edit source]
|Eye for Quality|
|Description||Nearby epic and legendary loot can be seen through walls. The range is the same as Black Market Boutique.|
- Use this passive ability to inform your squadmates about the location of loot in the area.
- If you see an item disappear you can use this information to know that enemies are in the area.
- Sometimes, Loba can't see contents in an unopened Care Package even though it's within her range.
Black Market Boutique[edit | edit source]
|Black Market Boutique|
|Description||Place a portable device that allows you to teleport nearby loot to your inventory. Each friendly or enemy Legend can take up to two items.|
|Charge time||90 seconds|
- Loba starts every match with her ultimate 50% charged.
- Similar to accessing the Death Box, when holding down E// to access Black Market, it opens a menu which shows users all items within a 112.5-meter radius (same as Eye for Quality), visible on the minimap.
- Items within the radius will hover off the ground slightly when the player is using it.
- Full stacks of Ammo and Health Kits will be taken when selected.
- Ammo has no maximum limit and does not take up space towards the maximum of two items allowed.
- There will be a glimpse of a teleport trail to Black Market each time a player takes an item from it.
- Teammates' banner cards cannot be retrieved.
- Treasure Packs for the season's Quest can be retrieved if you did not get your daily one yet.
- The Black Market has 100 health. It can be destroyed by shooting it and it can also block doors.
- Black Market can be collapsed by its caster by pressing Character Utility Button H// when proximity. Deploying a new Black Market will collapse the old Black Market.
- After placing down the Black Market, it takes about 4.5 seconds before it can be accessed.
- It releases a large pulse above of itself, which enemies can see.
- Ultimate Accelerants only charge 20% for this ultimate, as opposed to the normal 35%.
- When multiple copies of the same item are available, taking one will pull the farthest one from the Black Market.
- It cannot loot the contents of randomized loot sources like Loot Ticks, Cargo Bots, or Loot MRVNs.
- Deathboxes from Flyers must be dropped if you need to get those with Black Market.
- Loba herself can take one item from locked Vaults and Bloodhound's Trials compartments on World’s Edge, as well as locked Caustic Treatment compartments on Kings Canyon. Items that can be looted this way will show a lock icon on the right side of the item button and will ask for your confirmation before looting that item. Doing this destroys the Black Market and sounds an alarm.
- The Black Market will be destroyed regardless of how many items were taken before by each Legend.
- The destruction of the Black Market also does a small amount of damage to the user, and if health is low enough, can knock the user down.
- Because it will always try to pull a full inventory stack, Wattson can take two Ultimate Accelerants while only using one slot. Fuse can do the same with Grenades.
- Pathfinder's Grappling Hook can attach to Black Market.
- Give your squadmates time to loot before retrieving the Black Market Boutique.
- If your squadmates need a certain type of loot and you don't need anything, select the item(s) for them and drop it.
- If your squad is already geared, a good habit to do with the Black Market Boutique is to drop your current purple/gold/red Body Shield, and take another high tier Body Shield from the area. Be careful when doing this method as the Black Market Boutique will see the Body Shield that you've dropped nearby.
- Before looting from a vault or a Bloodhound's Trial compartment, make sure all your teammates took every possible item from the Black Market, and you are left with taking a single item from the Black Market since the Black Market will be destroyed regardless of how many items it was taken from it.
- This ability is great after using a Respawn Beacon or Mobile Respawn Beacon so your revived teammate(s) can quickly access the nearby loot. It also allows teammates to loot the items from the area which is hard-to-reach/hazardous, such as outside of Ring or Lava without risking it.
- When going to third-party fights, use this ultimate to steal their loot before fighting them.
- Also, when you and your team have just finished a grueling fight but the Ring is going to shrink in little time, you can use the Black Market to grab what you need quickly, such as armor swapping, healing items, ammo or high-tier attachments, and then run towards the safe zone as soon as possible.
- Another thing you can do with the Black Market is to grab loot outside of the Ring. Its potential is increased even more if the loot is a bit far away and Ring damage is quite high.
- When being used, the items in Black Market's range appear floating knowing that an enemy is nearby using it.
- You can use the ultimate to loot the contents of a Supply Ship before it lands at its random destination on the map .
- Try saving a Black Market for Rounds 5 or higher as everything can be seen as the play area shrinks.
- In later rings, use the Black Market to pull all nearby ammo into one spot so that enemies can't restock their supplies. This is especially useful when playing with defensive characters who can defend the ammo stockpile.
- When the bug that prevents the player from looting Death Boxes occurs, this bug also makes it so nothing can be taken out of the black market. When this happens, players cannot ping items or acknowledge teammates' pings.
Cosmetic Items[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 52 Legend skins for Loba; 7 Legendary, 8 Epic, 21 Rare and 16 Common.
- Included in the Ice Queen Bundle.
- Included in the Queens of the Night Bundle.
- Included in the Dressed to Kill Bundle.
Badges[edit | edit source]
Finishers[edit | edit source]
Skydive Emotes[edit | edit source]
Holo-Sprays[edit | edit source]
- Big Bad Wolf - Level 19
- Time To Break Some Hearts - Level 74
- Dodged A Bullet - 400
- I'll Be Seeing You - 400
Music Packs[edit | edit source]
Loading Screens[edit | edit source]
Voice lines[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Development[edit | edit source]
- Loba had been in the works since October of 2018.
- A year before the game's launch, there was a Legend called "Rosie" with abilities very similar to Loba. Writers Tom Casiello and Ashley Reed confirmed that Rosie was a completely different character and was scrapped. Despite this, Loba's datamined files still used the codename "Rosie" suggesting Loba had replaced Rosie.
- Loba was created by Tom Casiello. He was influenced by the women he worked with on WWE, who wanted to be equal to, but different from, men. When he saw the lineup of female characters, he noticed an "erasure" of sexuality in their designs and designed Loba to be a woman who likes to look good. He pitched the character and it gathered support among the female employees of Respawn Entertainment. He intended Loba to be a character that women would "own" and would want to be.
- Ashley Reed wrote Loba as "Catwoman but with Batman's backstory." Reed was inspired by the video game character Bayonetta while writing Loba's dialogue. She also often watched and listened to Shakira's single "She-Wolf" in both English and Spanish, since the Spanish version is called "Loba".
- Loba's in-game model is created by Patrick Yeung, who previously worked as a character artist on the Avatar film franchise.
- When developing Loba, the developers thought of Wattson and made Loba into her literary foil - a "mirror" or "opposite" character.
- Loba was a turning point for the writers of Apex Legends. As they weaved her and Revenant's stories together, they wondered how else could Legends affect one another.
- According to the developers, Loba's mocap work was done with heels on. With this information, Tina Sanchez can be identified as Loba's mocap actress: Nine months before Loba's release, Sanchez tweeted out two images of herself doing mocap work with heels and a stick.
- Tina Sanchez's input was reportedly instrumental and vital to Loba's look, style, personality, and story, ever since Loba first got pitched.
- Earlier in her development, Loba had an ability that allowed her to scan the area, revealing different types of loot through walls.
[edit | edit source]
- On January 30, 2020, Loba's character was officially introduced in the Season 4 Launch Trailer, which shows Revenant murdering both of her parents, Marcos and Alanza Andrade, on Olympus, Psamathe. Loba was left unnamed, but shown to have survived the attack.
- On April 16, 2020, a device appeared in a building in The Dome. This device is similar to banner cards and depicts a map of Singh Labs with a note: "More sub-level rooms... Connections? Where?"
- On April 20, 2020, a second device appeared in Sorting Factory. This one continues the map, showing a massive circular structure connected to the labs, and says "Electrical device? Check with Jaime" and "More tunnels... check west half of island"
- On April 24, 2020, the third and final device appeared in Harvester. This one shows the center of the circular structure and says "Jaime says 'capacitor'", "How big is this?", and "Cased the place dead-end, check west".
- On April 28, 2020, a tweet from the Apex Legends Twitter account shows 'Project 617', where someone seems to be gathering information on Revenant. They've acquired previously seen email chains about him and are wondering how to access his source code.
- On April 29, 2020, another tweet showed that this person is now researching simulacrums and digging through early tests by Hammond Robotics.
- On April 30, 2020, "Legacy of a Thief" was released, officially establishing Loba as the next Legend for Season 5, and showing that she can teleport.
- The same day, Loba begins appearing in the background of the lobby screen. She walks behind the banners, at one point she even whips her braid. At the end of the animation, she uses her Tactical Ability to disappear from the lobby.
- On May 01, 2020, a third tweet showed an additional early document from Revenant's construction.
- The vault at Train Yard is now empty. A hologram left by Loba taunts players, daring them to find her. In the back of the room is a bracelet, which players can interact with. Doing so briefly teleports them to a massive hangar full of dormant Stalkers, and they are activated as the player teleports back. The minimap shows that this hangar is underground, northwest of Skull Town.
- An Instagram post states Loba is a well-known 'trendsetter and art aficionado' and has been seen in Solace City, specifically at Mirage's bar.
- On May 04, 2020, an Instagram post showed Loba's conversation with Jaime. She explores the underground base, calling it a maze, and Jaime sends her the access key.
- On May 05, 2020, the Season 5 Launch Trailer was released.
- On May 08, 2020, the Season 5 Gameplay Trailer was released.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Loba means "she-wolf" in Portuguese and Spanish, as well as slang for "attractive woman".
- Loba likes people and animals. She likes animals especially because they have no ulterior motives.
- Loba dislikes robots due to her childhood experience with Revenant. That also makes her dislike and be distrustful towards Pathfinder.
- Loba has a network of people, which includes security guards. She does not trust many people, but she trusts herself to know who to trust.
- Loba is not in a relationship.
- Loba's father calls her "Greta" in the initial official subtitles of the Season 4 launch trailer; it was later corrected to "bebê" ("baby" in Portuguese).
- Loba's makeup resembles the bloodstains that were on her eyes when her father was killed.
- The wolf on Loba's staff is a gift she received from her father.
- Loba's mother called her by the nickname "cachorrinha" ("puppy" in Portuguese).
- Loba is bisexual, as indicated by her "Man Eater and Lady Killer" quip, and subsequently confirmed by Tom Casiello on Twitter.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Letters from Loba's mother.
Loba's conversation with Jaime while exploring the underground IMC facility.
Final concept art of Loba.
Concept art of Loba's Black Market Boutique.
References[edit | edit source]
- Analyzing/Reacting to "Fortune's Favor" with the Respawn Devs!! (Loba Trailer Season 5 Apex Legends)
- Exclusive Interview with Apex Legends: All things Loba & Season 5
- Tom Casiello on Twitter
- Tom Casiello on Twitter
- Apex Legends on Twitter
- Apex Legends on Twittter
- Apex Legends on Instagram
- Hethe Srodawa on Twitter