|This article may need cleanup to meet quality standards because: Grammar/punctuation in the Abilities section.|
Please help improve this if you can. The Discussion page may contain suggestions.
|“||We didn’t scatter him in one place. I mean, I thought about it. Thought about just leaving him on that moon off Typhon. He made his choices, and that was where they got him. But even then, angry as I was . . . I couldn’t do it. So I brought him back with the Northstar. He was still on ice from floating in space—morbid, right?|
We had him cremated. That was all I did, really. Had other things on my mind—making plans, getting money for the trip to the Outlands. I didn’t have time to think about . . . what to do with him.
Mom took care of it. Not that I knew—not until we got to Gaea. We were unpacking her house. It got windy, and she stopped everything—grabbed the urn and marched out into the field and scattered his ashes on the breeze. She said she left some in Angelia, right near the barn where he kept the Northstar. Then she brought the rest here, so he could be with his family.
Keep an eye on us, dad. You always did like a sky-high view.
|Real Name||Kairi Imahara (今原カイリ)|
|Tactical Ability||Missile Swarm|
|Passive Ability||VTOL Jets|
|Ultimate Ability||Skyward Dive|
|Voice Actor||Erika Ishii|
Valkyrie is a Recon Legend who specializes in flight. Her passive, VTOL Jets allow her to fly for a few seconds but can only use Missile Swarm and while skydiving, she can mark enemies. Her tactical, Missile Swarm can be good for dealing damage, especially while in her passive. Her ultimate, Skyward Dive, can be used to skydive into a new area.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Missile Swarm[edit | edit source]
|Description||Fire a swarm of mini-rockets that damage and disorient the enemy.|
- Launches 12 missiles in a 4x3 array, dealing damage and stunning enemies.
- If a Legend gets hit, the first missile deals 25 damage and every subsequent missile deals 3.
- Needs ample vertical clearance to use, meaning you can't use it on interior spaces with low ceilings.
- Minimum target distance (same elevation) is 12 meters; Maximum target distance is 100 meters horizontally, regardless of elevation difference between target and Valkyrie.
- When within valid range, the crosshair aligns with the closest row's middle rocket
- Can be used while VTOL Jets is active.
VTOL Jets[edit | edit source]
|Description||Press the jump key while in the air to engage jetpack. You can switch between hold and toggle mode in the options menu.|
- While in the air, press Jump again to engage VTOL Jets.
- Using the Jets consumes fuel. The Fuel gauge is on the right side of the screen.
- Activating the VTOL Jets will consume about 12.5% of your total fuel
- Maximum duration is 7 seconds.
- Fuel will begin to refill 8 seconds after the last Jets' usage.
- Fully refueling from empty takes 10 seconds. (1 second will refill 10% of total fuel)
- While using the Jets, Valkyrie cannot use any weapons except for her Missile Swarm.
- Once the Jets are released, there is a 1-second delay (a hand animation will be played) before she can use her weapons.
- Normal flight direction is upwards in the direction Valkyrie is facing.
- Hold ADS to conduct level flight
Jet-Fighter HUD - Activates while skydiving or using her ultimate, Skyward Dive (in both launch and skydive).
- Marks any enemies within 250 meters with a direct and uninterrupted line of sight to Valkyrie. The champion will be marked with "CH"
- Enemy cannot detect your scan, unlike Bloodhound and Crypto.
- Squadmates attached to Valkyrie also benefit from these target callouts.
- In the gameplay settings, there is an option to switch the control scheme between holding the jump button and pressing it once to toggle. Use whichever you feel most comfortable with.
- Due to VTOL jets, advanced bunny hop and wall jumping is more difficult, require more precise timing
- Treat the VTOL Jets as a double jump - short burst to get you to the roof of short buildings.
- When activating the VTOL Jets, it consumes about 12.5% of your total fuel, which only allows you to do 8 bursts maximum with a full gauge; be careful when turning them on and off in the air.
- However, bursting the VTOL Jets gives you a burst of speed and provides a slight dodge, at the cost of fuel.
- You can activate VTOL Jets right before landing to eliminate fall stun
- Due to the wide scanning range of Jet-Fighter HUD, purposely conducting skydives through the use of ultimate, jump tower, geyser, and even trident reject can help provide good intel of enemy location in a large area. However, do note that while your scan is not revealed to unsuspecting enemies, alerted players will notice your dive trail.
- Jet-Fighter HUD are occasionally deactivated for teammates if either Valkyrie split off from the group during the jump, or if teammates split off from the Valkyrie jumpmaster.
- Changing legends while in the Firing Range as soon as the VTOL Jets are deactivated or fuel runs out reduces gravity.
- Change back to Valkyrie will revert this bug.
Skyward Dive[edit | edit source]
|Description||Press once to prepare for launch. Teammates can interact with Valkyrie to join the launch. Press again to launch into the air and skydive.|
|Charge time||3 minutes|
- Upon usage, Valkyrie enters a setup animation that charges up over 2 seconds, after which she can press Fire to launch ~180m into the air and enter a skydive, similar to using a Jump Tower. Squadmates can press Interact near Valkyrie to launch with her.
- Skyward Dive can be canceled during setup either by taking damage or manually by pressing the Ultimate button again. 75% of its charge is refunded when canceled.
- While in pre-launch, using ping will mark Valkyrie for her squad and display a "Let's fly!" notification in the kill feed.
- Vertical clearance is required for flight.
- The maximum height she will launch into the air is only ~50m in Arenas.
- Skyward Dive could be used as an excellent recon ability, as her passive to scan for enemies works both during launch and skydiving.
- It is very beneficial to use this if the Ring is right behind you, and you’re a long way away from the next Ring.
- If Death Protection wears off while using this ability, it will not launch you in the air and instead will keep the players in the launching animation permanently. While in this position, players can also freely pass through geometry.
- This also occurs if activated on a slope, except you'll go straight under the map.
- If you activate it while someone is below an object, the person will get launched under the map and will most likely die.
Recon[edit | edit source]
|Description||Scan a Survey Beacon to reveal the Ring's next location.|
- Allows you to access the 12 survey beacons available on the map in any given match to determine the circle location after the currently marked circle.
- The interaction with the survey beacon takes 7 seconds, during which you are vulnerable.
- A survey beacon can be used again when the next round starts.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Bold, brash, fiery and fierce, Kairi Imahara isn’t above greasing palms and bending the law. When she was a child, she stole a Titan. It belonged to her dad: callsign Viper. She wanted to be just like him when she grew up. But the next day he left on a mission and never returned. In some ways, she still followed in his footsteps: it wasn't a Titan, but her ship offered a decent living. Her personal life, however, was anything but. During the day, she smuggled precious cargo, and at night, went shot for shot with the outlaws and mercs in the bars. But even though she had her ladies, her liquor, and her love of the sky, she was still obsessed with finding the man who’d put her father in harm’s way: his commander, Kuben Blisk.
She tracked Blisk down, prepared to kill him. But he spoke of her father with respect -- and challenged her to be better. She shot him anyway. But not to kill. Knowing she could get to him was enough. Well, that, and the Apex Games card she took from Blisk’s grasp.
Using the intact flight core from Viper’s Northstar, she built a sleek new jetpack that honored her father’s memory. And that was when Kairi could finally soar on her own… and in a version of her dad’s Titan, a modified Northstar with an enhanced VTOL and flight core, that ended up being hers after all.
Cosmetic Items[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 42 Legend skins for Valkyrie; 5 Legendary, 5 Epic, 18 Rare and 16 Common.
- Included in the Valkyrie Launch Bundle.
- ”Valkyrie ultimately finds her father’s frozen body in space, still in his Titan. He finally receives the funeral he deserves, but she keeps his helmet. Not to mourn his life... but celebrate it.”
Finishers[edit | edit source]
Turn and Burn
Badges[edit | edit source]
Emotes[edit | edit source]
Skydive Emotes[edit | edit source]
Holo-Sprays[edit | edit source]
Loading Screens[edit | edit source]
Music Pack[edit | edit source]
Voice Lines[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- When Season 6 launched, a Rampart artwork shows her repairing Viper's Northstar Titan. Three seasons later, this is revealed to be a teaser for Valkyrie.
- On April 14, 2021, Apex Legends posted a video on their Twitter celebrating 100 million registered players. At the end of the video, Valkyrie can be seen flying.
- On April 15, 2021, Apex Legends posted a tweet of an image with the caption, "Searching the Stars." Most notably, there are manga volumes, a statue from Angel City, and other Titanfall references.
- On April 17, 2021, a second tweet was posted with the caption, "Seeding the Soil."
- On April 19, 2021, "Northstar" was released.
- On April 22, 2021, the Season 9 Launch Trailer was released.
- On April 26, 2021 the Season 9 Gameplay Trailer was released.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Valkyrie's abilities are inspired by the Northstar Titan from Titanfall 2.
- Valkyrie is a ship pilot. (She is not a certified Titan Pilot.)
- Valkyrie is a lesbian.
- Valkyrie has a few voice lines that are similarly quoted by Viper, most notably her "Valkyrie sent you" and "Got you in the pipe" lines.
- In voice lines when Valkyrie revives or re-spawns Rampart, she profusely begs Rampart to change the name of Sheila, due to it being the name of her ex-girlfriend.
- Valkyrie shares many similarities with her voice actress, Erika Ishii: They are both mixed race, they are both queer, and they have similar outgoing personalities.
- Valkyrie had a Caucasian father and a Japanese mother. Although Valkyrie was exposed to her mother's heritage, she cannot fluently speak Japanese. Valkyrie can still understand Japanese, and she speaks Japanese to her mother at home, but she is not confident in speaking it in public.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art of Valkyrie's Birthright skin.
References[edit | edit source]
- The Ghost of Viper Loading Screen
- Apex Legends News on Twitter
- Erika Ishii Interview | Valkyrie Apex Legends! Season 9 NEW LEGEND
- Erika Ishii Interview | Valkyrie Apex Legends! Season 9 NEW LEGEND
- ashsmashreed comments on Official Apex Legends: Legacy Update AMA with the Respawn Team
- Cristina Laviña on Artstation